Friday, June 25, 2010

Just a song.

(Posted a bit late due to un-technical issues)

Started the day at 5:30 am. Took the Greek Australians to Ancient Corinth, the AcroCorinth, a killer pottery shop where they spent a gajillion euros investing in their Greek heritage, and the beautiful port town of Nafplion.

I endeared the little ones to me, something that's happening a lot these days, because I'm full of weird stories. They're not mine, of course. I couldn't have dreamt up the story of Tantalos chopping up his son and serving him in a soup to the gods, who were so insulted they stuck him in a lake that drains when he's thirsty and under a branch with one fig, blowing away with the puff of a breeze when he's hungry.

They love the story of Demeter searching for Persephone, and how when Persephone is returned to her mother she's forced to spend only six months with her and then return to the world of the dead for six months after. Until she returns, Demeter is so sad that nothing grows. When she returns, she's so happy that everything flowers.

"WOOOOOW"

And yesterday, because we got lucky or being punished, depending on how you look at it, we picked up the second group immediately after dropping the first and did the whole thing again.

This time it wasn't the kids, but a 50 year old Toll road engineer who shouted from the back of the bus, "Tell us another story, Paige!"


But it's 2am, I'm dead, and in spite of this good fortune I'm heavy with a cumulative sigh being exhaled all over the country. Every time I wonder what I've gotten myself into, I try and imagine my life without it. I'm in it, yo, for better or worse. I got better when I was fresh and green, and now it's time to see what I can do when all of the easy roads are far behind or ahead, or covered with debris or just imagined...

Wanted to just post this song. Just a song that gets it right, for me, right now.
It's a bit somber, but you must remember I'm writing this at the end of the day when somberness usually hits the most chipper of us, and would you believe that most people don't believe I'm ever "un" chipper? It's us smiley ones that are usually holding the most clouds. I believe it.

A good night's sleep and it will blow away.