Sunday, July 18, 2010

the brainy catchall.

I was going to write the next installment of my research on the revolution of Greece, but the "research" part is throwing me. You see I started it in preparation for a road trip we'd planned for our fantastic Greek American family and their counterparts and quarter parts... (two of the cutest, puddin-faced, eat-you-up little boys I've ever met) and it included SO many of the areas important to the history of Greece's revolution that I had to find a way to make it stick. Writing is just the way.

But now the road trip was over, it was a smash, and my motivation is dwindling on continuing the effort. (That's sort of the theme of my summer. Dwindling motivation, that is.) To be fair with myself, I've been working really hard. The eighty year old version of myself would tell the thirty year old version of myself to lighten up and enjoy. So that's what this post is going to be about.

-On the road trip there was a spontaneous poem made:

The lady in Green
is the Pastitsio Queen.




-Today while walking to the bus stop I bumped my head on a green orange. It took me by such surprise that I didn't start thinking of how it was funny that it was a green orange, and my favorite ice cream place is the orange and green.... and it made me giggle.

-I think I must have pressed some big red button on accident that grabbed hold of every email address I've ever used and sent them all a facebook friend invite. I say it because today I got seventeen "confirm friend" emails from people I've never met. The most interesting of the bunch is a boy named Shadik. I think maybe it is a tour guide from Israel that I decided wasn't good enough for my high maintnance family which, incidentally, is no longer going to Israel.

-We took tourists to Despina's little one's baptism in the Byzantine church of St. Katherine's. I would like to know what other cruise ship tourist had THAT on their itinerary?

-I believe I've mentioned my Pakistani friend in the underpass who sells various accessories of a designerish quality. I'll call him my "kalimera" friend. Well the other day I finally bought something. A pair of red sunglasses with silver snakes on the side. He chose them for me. Teresa, a*k*a lady in purple, would be proud, but I can't find her card so I'm going to have to go searching for the door with the snake on it and tell her in person.

 "I know now that most people are so closely concerned with themselves that they are not aware of their own individuality, I can see myself, and it has helped me to say what I want to say...in paint."
Georgia O Keefe


Walking home I got this song stuck in my head. Where did it come from? I just don't know. I tried to explain it to the French Greek accompanying me... of which there was a lot. Of explaining, I mean.




And lastly, I had the most incredible dream. I don't know how to describe it other than that someone had a lasso around me that they were controlling with such grace I was floating through the air as if there was no gravity. He just kept spinning me effortlessly around the atmosphere and I was so relaxed that I fell fast asleep.

But you see I was asleep. What does that mean, when you sleep in your sleep? Does it just mean you're very very tired?

If I still have your attention at this point, I'm amazed. I don't know if I, as a reader, would put up with such disconnectedness. I learned that the inability to make relevance between irrelevent things is considered a lack of imagination, but then, it's a national epidemic. Maybe I've been afflicted.